Finding a handyman is worth the effort because it can have a big impact on how well your home operates and looks.
It's always best to hire an experienced handyman to avoid any potential issues down the road. With their expertise, they will be able to quickly and easily solve your problem without any need for constant upkeep.
Hiring an excellent handyman will also save you money in the long run because hiring assistance from a pro means that you won’t have to pay out of pocket for maintenance issues (and trust us, hiring a mediocre handyman can add up fast).
Here are some dos and don’ts when hiring a handyman:
The Do’s when Hiring a Handyman
- Do ask around. Ask friends, family, and colleagues for recommendations on who to hire. This will give you a good idea of who is trustworthy and experienced.
- Do speak with potential handymen first before hiring them. It’s important to get some understanding of their work ethic and quality of work before proceeding to hiring them. Ideally they would visit in person so they can make any necessary measurements and provide you with an accurate estimate.
- Do make sure the handyman offers references from previous customers so you can verify their credibility.
- Do check their ID and for any applicable licenses so that you know exactly if he is legally allowed to do the work in your home or business.
- Do be upfront about what you want them to do and the budget that you’re willing to spend because this will let them know what they can realistically deliver and let both parties know what they need to avoid (i.e., unnecessary labor).
- Don't hire an untrained person off the street, as it could end up costing more in the long run than hiring someone who has experience working with home maintenance projects.
- Don't pay upfront because this will only lead to bad habits on your part which could set your project back significantly if not done properly by a qualified professional.
Do ask for referrals
The best way to find the right handyman for your project is by asking around. Ask your friends and family, or ask your neighbors who they would recommend.
Do make sure to get references from past customers
In addition to asking friends and family, you should also try to ask past customers for references. They will be able to provide a lot of information about their experience with the handyman, so you can get a better sense of their skills in general.
Don’t hire anyone who doesn’t offer an estimate
You should never hire anyone to work on a home without getting an estimate first. If they don’t offer an estimate, chances are they won’t finish the job because it will be too expensive for them.
You also want to confirm what's included in the estimate such as labor costs and materials, ideally they would should offer you a breakdown of what everything will cost.
You'll also want to confirm how much they'll need to start the project and be very clear on what you need done before the project is considered completed.
Don’t hire anyone who won’t be able to provide a written contract or warranty
One of the biggest mistakes new homeowners make when hiring a handyman is not having a written contract. When you hire someone to help with your house, you want to make sure that they have service agreements and that their work will be done without question.
This can be difficult because many people consider themselves handyman, but they don’t always write contracts. With a written contract, you’ll know exactly what they’re going to do and what services they are providing. It’s also important to note that by having an agreement in writing.
Finding the right handyman is not always an easy process. There are many factors that go into hiring a handyman in Santo Domingo, but with a little bit of research, you can find the right person to help with your project. Make sure to ask for references, research the person’s reputation. Before you hire anyone, make sure you get a written contract and warranty and that they offer a free estimate first.